5 Common Easter Products that Are Dangerous to Your Pets

5 common easter products that are dangerous to your petsEaster is a joyous occasion. In addition to the important religious aspects, the holiday ushers in spring flowers, warm weather and the end of the school season in more parts of the country.

Most families celebrate Easter with decorative baskets, colored eggs and a family dinner. However, many of the products that help make Easter so enjoyable for humans can be dangerous to our pets. Make sure to avoid the following items and/or keep them well away from your furry friends.

Top 5 Easter Items for Your Pet to Avoid

  1. Easter grass. Plastic Easter grass is a staple of many holiday candy baskets. It glistens and can be enticing to cats and dogs. However, plastic Easter grass can wreck havoc with your pet’s intestinal system if they ingest it. Better to opt for paper grass or, better yet, use tissue paper as a base for your baskets.
  2. Candy. Chocolate is poison to cats and dogs. In general, the darker the chocolate, the greater the risk.
  3. Lilies and other Easter plants. Lilies are one of the most toxic substances for cats. Even contact with the pollen can damage your pet’s kidneys. Best to leave the beautiful white flowers at church. Although the white lilies are the most toxic, any plant in the lily family (including onions and garlic) can be harmful. For the best outcome, getting veterinary care within six hours of ingestion is essential.
  4. Human food. That big Easter dinner smells wonderful to your pets as well as to humans. However, there is a long list of commonly-used human foods that are dangerous to your pets. In addition to onions and garlic mentioned above, this list includes grapes, avocados, coffee and any product with caffeine, sweets with the artificial sweetener xylitol and fruits with pits like peaches and plums. In addition, dairy products can cause intestinal distress in most cats an dogs, as they lack the enzyme that humans use to digest these products.
  5. Plastic eggs. Plastic Easter eggs can provide a choking hazard when chewed. They are usually lightweight can can be easily broken into small, sharp pieces when your dog bites down on them. Best to use real, hard-boiled eggs or softer paper mache eggs for your decorations.

If you find that your pet has eaten something that could be harmful to him or her, prompt medical attention is essential A good veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic can help rid your pet’s system of the toxin and/or perform emergency surgery to remove plastic grass or eggs that are blocking his or her system.

For more information on keeping your pet safe during the Easter holiday and/or to make an appointment to see one of our skilled veterinarians, contact Animal House Veterinary Center at (808) 689-1797 !

Font Resize